First and for most when you get opal there are a few different types of opal. Where did the opal come from?
· Australia- Coober Pedy, Andamooka, Mintabie Opal Field, Lightning Ridge
· Ethiopia- Wollo Province (Welo opal)
· Mexico- Querétaro, Guerrero, Tequisquiapan
· USA- Spencer, Idaho , Nevada
· Synthetic opal (Lab created)- Man made
· Other locations- Czech Republic, Canada, Slovakia, Hungary, Turkey, Indonesia, Brazil (in Pedro II, Piauí), Honduras (more precisely in Erandique), Guatemala and Nicaragua
WHAT IS MY OPAL? THERE ARE A FEW GRADES OF OPAL AS WELL!
1. Mine rough-opal directly from the mine, mostly un picked through
a) Displays the sand or potch around the opal (there may be something or nothing)
b) Displays color but mostly covered in sand/potch (DON’T TOSS ANYTHING OUT)
This opal has the risk and the most reward if there is a good opal in it! (Where there is no fire, you can save it for other uses) doublets, triplets, practice, or in the case of chips, jewelry: chips in water, in a small jar as a pendant! $$$$
2. Cleaned opal- most of the host rock and sand is taken of so you can better evaluate what you have. Note the price increases here.
3. Mid-grade rough cleaned with better color – since the miners know what it is they can better have a better understanding of what the mater